1. Fair Trade means fair pay and working conditions for farmers and artisans as well as creating just economic opportunities for marginalized producers.
2. Fair Trade encourages environmental sustainability by using eco friendly farming practices and the use of raw materials found in nature or recycled. Fair Trade supports sustainable practices that minimize our environmental footprint.
3. Fair Trade Protects children by local managers upholding their rights to security, education and play. Business owners respect local laws and social norms and disclose the involvement of children in production.
4. Fair Trade empowers marginalized workers/farmers and artisans by creating access to low cost, advanced capital as well as opportunities for building their technical and business skills.
5. Fair Trade is safe because it promotes integrated farming and management systems that improve soil fertility and preserves valuable eco systems while limiting the use of harmful agrochemicals that present dangers to the farmer's health. This means food that is safer for you and the farmers who grow it!
6. Fair Trade supports communities by working through co-operative structures artisans and farmers are able to invest fair trade earnings into their communities, improving housing, health care and schools.
7. Fair Trade is trade that artisans and farmers can count on. Fair trade is committed to strengthening direct, long term partnerships between buyers and producers. These partnerships provide an avenue for buyers to purchase quality items from people they trust. It offers a sustainable and reliable way for farmers, artisans and their families to improve their livelihoods.
8. Fair Trade connects you to other cultures by introducing you to products that are unique to the places they came from and the people who made them.
9. Fair Trade means sustainable local economies by giving the producers control over their own future. By allowing them to build their own businesses rather than work for a middleman. This means profits stay in their community and are put back into their businesses.
10. Fair Trade means that your purchases matter. It allows you access to high quality products while making a difference in the lives of the people who produced them.
***information courtesy of The Fair Trade Resource Network http://www.fairtraderesource.org/
Sweet Leaf Bath Co.